Pure art and culture
Visit sights in and around Frankenberg, such as the “Liebfrauenkirche” (Church of Our Lady) or picturesque parks, castles, and medieval fortresses.
The museums and art collections are also home to extraordinary treasures. Thonet Museum exhibits design classics and furniture rarities.
Theatre, music and art represent opulent sources of inspiration. Local theatre, the “Kultursommer” summer cultural festival in Northern Hessen, the “Literarische Frühling” literary spring fair and the world exhibition of contemporary art, and the Documenta in Kassel all allow for the flourishing cultural diversity in the region.
Churches and nunneries
- “Liebfrauenkirche” (Church of Our Lady) in Frankenberg
- St. Georgen nunnery in Frankenberg
- Haina nunnery in Haina
- “Elisabethkirche” church in Marburg
Castles and palaces
- Landgrave Castle in Biedenkopf , 33 km
- Landgrave Castle in Marburg, 35 km
- Friedrichstein Castle in Bad Wildungen, 36 km
- Waldeck Castle in Waldeck, 45 km
- Residential Palace in Bad Arolsen, 51 km
- Wilhelmshöhe Castle in Kassel in Kassel, 77 km
- Löwenburg Castle in Kassel, 77 km
What fairy tales are made of
These places served the artist Otto Ubbelohde as a template for illustrating the world-famous fairy tale collection from the Brothers Grimm.
SONNE museum tips
Theatre, music and art
Frankenberg and the surrounding area
- “Kulturring” cultural group, Frankenberg
- Korbach open-air stage
- Hallenberg open-air stage
- Theatre am Bunker, Bad Wildungen